My computer keeps restarting every night...

Discussion in 'General' started by OpalJagger, Aug 13, 2006.

1. OpalJagger ...should be in Chicago

Money:
    $947
    Dunno why, but like 3:30 am every night, my computer will restart by itself, and I've checked everywhere in control panel to see if it's a scheduled task or what not, but it doesn't say anything about that.

I wouldn't really care, but I think it's affecting my RAM (RAM gets erased everytime the computer shuts down and restarts if I'm not wrong), and every time it restarts, you have to shut down a lot of the programs that start on start-up, so it's an annoyance.

Any help would be appreciated, karma and points for it as well.
  2. qwerrr Guest

hey mate, it could be a hacker or a virus into ur computer, or easier solution, get it checked out by a computer guy, he should be able to fix something like that in 5 minutes :

hope i helped u out mate :)
  3. djnadilo New Member

Money:
    $12
    Sounds like a virus what antivirus are you runnig...?
  4. Rabie1 Its Like That.

Money:
    $0
    Hmm do you auto windows updates on for a certain time everyday?
    Cause you know once those download it restarts on itself =S
  5. LEFTY15 *All American*

Money:
    $0
    it could be a virus scan that runs at 3am every night. it might finish around 330.. and sometimes programs restart your computer after the scan.
  6. OpalJagger ...should be in Chicago

Money:
    $947
    Oh man, I think that's it, I saw it doing that the other night I think. Thanks for the other suggestions guys, but I don't think it's a virus, my Dad runs Norton, Symantec and AdAware all the time, so it can't be that. I'll check if it's the updates though, that might be it.
  7. KID_DRE Active Member

Money:
    $5
    yep same thing with me my computer restared everynight at 3 am for updates
    just go to control pannel then select automatic updates and u can turn it off
  8. Flightlevel 23 New Member

Money:
    $0
    opal get registry mechanic it should clear the problem if not i suggest you use a different anti virus such as AVAST.
  9. OpalJagger ...should be in Chicago

Money:
    $947
    Exactamundo...that's what it was to the t, the automatic updates. Thanks for all the other suggestions though.
  10. Wade Flash New Member

Money:
    $0
    if you have 2 partitions on you hard drive try to format the partition where is windows installed that will help 100 % and your computer will work much faster then how . I think that is cause some of files are missing in your system and when hard drive goes to that points he restarts the computer
  11. Rabie1 Its Like That.

Money:
    $0
    Your most welcome, Glad i can help out =)
  12. thepurpleandgold Missing In Action

Money:
    $0
    RAM does get erased everytime the computer shuts down or restarts, but it doesn't get reduced.

In other words, it doesn't matter - because it's just your temporary stuff that is taken away, but you can still use the RAM next time you turn your computer on. :)

Is it a hard restart or a soft restart? As in, does it display the message "Windows is shutting down..."? If it does, then I believe that Rabie1 is correct. :)
  13. millz New Member

Money:
    $0
    mine does it to...its the automatic updates with the shield thingy...its retarded.